Hello summer people! Sam and I recently got back from a small road trip to visit family in the west Kootenays of British Columbia. We had a blast on our journey and I was able to snap some shots of my first Sewaholic Hollyburn! I have always been taken with this skirt, but it wasn’t until I saw Rochelle’s Arrows Hollyburn that I knew I had to make one. Luckily the little sewing shop near my house, Spool of Thread, carries the Cotton and Steel fabrics and I was able to get the arrows fabric in blue!
The arrows angle in towards my waist in this version, but I think a skirt with the lines or stripes angled down towards the knees would be lovely as well.
This is the kind of sewing pattern I will make over and over and over again. It was so easy to figure out the instructions, sew and style. I had a moment of panic when I realized I hadn’t bought quite enough fabric, but I managed to lay out the pieces somewhat unconventionally to make it work. I had to construct the waistband out of three pieces, so you can see there is a side seam on the band. I did my best to match up the lines so this is as invisible as possible.
I finished the seams in the inside of the skirt with yellow double fold bias tape. I don’t have a serger *yet*, so I’m trying my hardest to be good about finishing seams thoroughly. This has the benefit of adding a nice detail should my skirt ever fly over my head – and it helps the garment to last longer too!
If sewing this skirt again (which will happen), I would put in deeper pockets. I love the shape of the pockets but they are not quite large enough for me (despite being a totally reasonable size, haha) . I am also excited to try a shorter version of the skirt, I love the look of longer skirts but I tend to wear them less on a day-to-day basis. I would like to have one in a solid colour as well, it would make a great basic addition to my wardrobe.
I am also excited for the possibility of making a Hollyburn dress mashup with a bodice pattern. I have seen a few people doing this and I am loving the results!
Happy summer everyone!
Total project time: Approximately 6 hours (note: the bias binding took a lot of time!)
Fabric: 2 meters of 100% Cotton from Cotton + Steel
Pattern: Sewaholic Hollyburn Skirt – View A, size 14
Adjustments: Removed Tabs
My how your Grandmother Wilkinson would have loved to read this blog Helen! You brought me right back to my childhood and Mom’s habit of giving me fabric, pattern and thread for a present instead of the finished article. Beautiful skirt – beautiful website. xo Ellen
Thank you so much Ellen!
Pingback: 2015 Sewing Year in Review | Helen's ClosetHelen's Closet