We love to design simple, wearable basics that are super satisfying to sew. The Avery Leggings definitely fit the bill! They are also really fun and easy to customize. You can add colour-blocking and pockets to take your leggings to the next level! Today’s hack will show you how to add pockets to the side of your Avery leggings. At the bottom of the post there are suggestions for other pocket designs, too! Have fun hacking!
This pattern is now available in sizes 0-34! Grab the Avery Leggings pattern for 20% off this week to celebrate!
How to add a pocket to your leggings:
- Cut a panel from the center of your pattern piece. Add seam allowance to the cut edges.
- Draw your pocket shape on the center panel. Trace it twice, once from the bottom of the pocket to the waistline (the upper pocket) and once from the top of the pocket to the hem (the lower pocket).
- Add seam allowance to the top edge of the lower pocket and the bottom edge of the upper pocket.
- Fold the top edge of the lower pocket to the wrong side, and topstitch in place with a stretch stitch.
- Place the lower pocket, right side up, on the upper pocket, right side up. Topstitch through both layers at the bottom edge of the upper pocket piece.
- Sew the front leg to the center panel, right sides together, with a stretch stitch. Repeat for the back leg.
- Using a stretch stitch, topstitch the seam allowances away from the center panel. Finally, sew the rest of the leggings as normal.
More Pocket Ideas
If you want to try a different pocket on your leggings, we have some suggested shapes for you! Check them out below.
I hope you enjoyed this Avery Leggings hack! You can grab this pattern for 20% off this week! No code required.