Hello summer people! Sam and I recently got back from a small road trip to visit family in the west Kootenays of British Columbia. We had a blast on our journey and I was able to snap some shots of my first Sewaholic Hollyburn! I have always been taken with this skirt, but it wasn’t until I saw Rochelle’s Arrows Hollyburn that I knew I had to make one. Luckily the little sewing shop near my house, Spool of Thread, carries the Cotton and Steel fabrics and I was able to get the arrows fabric in blue!
The arrows angle in towards my waist in this version, but I think a skirt with the lines or stripes angled down towards the knees would be lovely as well.
This is the kind of sewing pattern I will make over and over and over again. It was so easy to figure out the instructions, sew and style. I had a moment of panic when I realized I hadn’t bought quite enough fabric, but I managed to lay out the pieces somewhat unconventionally to make it work. I had to construct the waistband out of three pieces, so you can see there is a side seam on the band. I did my best to match up the lines so this is as invisible as possible.
I finished the seams in the inside of the skirt with yellow double fold bias tape. I don’t have a serger *yet*, so I’m trying my hardest to be good about finishing seams thoroughly. This has the benefit of adding a nice detail should my skirt ever fly over my head – and it helps the garment to last longer too!
If sewing this skirt again (which will happen), I would put in deeper pockets. I love the shape of the pockets but they are not quite large enough for me (despite being a totally reasonable size, haha) . I am also excited to try a shorter version of the skirt, I love the look of longer skirts but I tend to wear them less on a day-to-day basis. I would like to have one in a solid colour as well, it would make a great basic addition to my wardrobe.
I am also excited for the possibility of making a Hollyburn dress mashup with a bodice pattern. I have seen a few people doing this and I am loving the results!
Happy summer everyone!
Total project time: Approximately 6 hours (note: the bias binding took a lot of time!)
Fabric: 2 meters of 100% Cotton from Cotton + Steel
Pattern: Sewaholic Hollyburn Skirt – View A, size 14
Adjustments: Removed Tabs