I have been eyeing the Saltspring dress for some time now, so when Caroline shared a camisole hack it was just the push I needed to invest in this pattern. I love the delicate spaghetti straps and combined with the ruffle panel so much, I just had to take the plunge. I’m sure I will make the actual dress version of this pattern eventually, but for now, BEES!
This hack is very simple, and it is so comfortable to wear. I made my version out of a pretty cheap poly crepe dé chine from Dressew (also available online here), so I decided to line the bodice with black rayon to provide a more comfortable feel against the skin. This extra step was worth it, the shirt is so lovely and soft inside. The alternative to a full lining is creating the facings like Caroline did in the tutorial. I did not line the ruffle hem, since it sits out away from my body.
I am proud to say I finally did a full bust adjustment! I’ve known I could benefit from one for some time now, but I am just on the cusp of needing it, so I can get away without one with most fabrics and silhouettes (and a non push-up bra). This was my first attempt and I used another tutorial from Sewaholic to do it – it was easy breezy! Not only that, it was fun, and I like the fit of the shirt a lot. I don’t have a pre-FBA version to compare it to though, so I might actually try one as-is to see how the fit differs.
This pattern has so much potential. I can see another version with no gathers, one with gathers higher up, one with a gathered skirt (this silhouette is so popular these days), knit versions, etc. I have three more of these camisoles planned already!
Fabric: Polyester Crepe de Chine from Dressew (available online here)
Time: 2 hours
Alterations: 1” full bust adjustment