HelenHelen's Makes, Winslow Culottes, Winslow Hacks5 Comments

Winslow Culottes Hack: Slash Pockets

The Winslow Culottes come with inseam pockets, but you can easily swap those out for slash pockets if you prefer. The benefit of the slash pocket is less bulk at your hips and the pocket doesn’t hang loosely from the side seam, potentially flipping toward the back of the culottes. You might be wondering – isn’t that a lot of bulk with those big pleats? I was skeptical too, but I found that it really isn’t that noticeable and is no bulkier than the inseam pockets. I like how practical this style of pocket is for putting your phone or wallet in. They are also really great for putting your hands in your pockets!

I also this example pair with an elastic back! You can find the full tutorial for that here.

Let’s get started!

We are going to need a new pocket piece. The rest of the pattern pieces can be cut out as-is, and we will adjust the front pieces to accommodate the pockets.

If you prefer a really deep or wide pocket, you can cut a larger size.

Continue to construct the culottes as indicated in the instructions, minus the inseam pockets.

That’s all there is to it! I hope you try this hack on your next pair of Winslows, or on any other pattern where you want slash pockets instead of inseam pockets. Happy Hacking!

I also made this example pair with an elastic back! You can find the full tutorial for that here.

About the author

Helen

Helen Wilkinson is the designer and founder of Helen's Closet Patterns. She also co-hosts the Love to Sew Podcast! Helen is obsessed with all things sewing and strives to share her passion and knowledge with the sewing community.

5 Comments on “Winslow Culottes Hack: Slash Pockets”

  1. Pingback: Winslow Culottes from Helen’s Closet – Cassandre V. Handmade

  2. Pingback: Demeter Dress Hacking – Seldom Sewn

  3. Pingback: Winslow Culottes – Gee Thanks, I Made it

  4. I like slash pockets, will probably try this next time. What I did to keep the side-seam pockets from being floppy was to cut one pocket piece per side so that it extended to the waistband (just one of them, to avoid bulk at the waist) and then basted it to the front. This gave the side-seam pockets extra support and kept them at the front. I also ran some elastic through the existing waistband by not closing the ends before folding it over and stitching, to turn a slightly loose waistband into a slightly flexible waistband (my waistline varies day to day and I can’t stand tight waistbands.) It means the waistband doesn’t look quite as smooth, but it fits me a little better.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *